Every day, we are exposed to toxins. Toxins from the food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breathe and the products we put on our bodies. With this constant exposure, I’m going to talk about what it means to detox, why it’s so important and how to safely and naturally detox.
What does it mean to detox?
Detoxing is the process of ridding the body of toxic or unhealthy substances. A toxin is a poisonous substance that includes heavy metals, pesticides, GMOs and many chemicals that we come in contact with every day.
Have you ever experienced achy joints or muscles, brain fog, fatigue or allergies? If you answered yes to any of these symptoms, a detox could be your solution.
How does a detox work and why is it important?
Simply put, a detox works when you stop using and consuming the toxic substances that are causing health problems, whether it’s processed foods or products containing toxic chemicals. By doing this, your liver, kidneys, digestive system, skin and lungs can eliminate the remaining toxins.
How to safely and naturally detox?
There are so many things that we can do to naturally detox our bodies, but I’ve listed six. The following 6 actions are going to take intention and will help limit your toxin exposure inside and outside of your body.
- Clean the air. According to the EPA, indoor air quality can be 2 to 5 times worse than outdoor air quality, especially with regards to airborne chemicals. Fall is here and the temperatures are cooling down which leads to more time spent inside. To help clean the air, it is recommended to get a HEPA air filter for your home.
- Clean your water. Whether you’re drinking or bathing in the water, you want to either purchase a filter pitcher or install filters on your faucets and in your shower. You can also switch to glass or stainless steel water bottles vs plastic which are known to leach toxins into the water.
- Swap conventional foods for organic foods. Buying organic can get expensive, so start where you can. Start with simple swaps and build your way up. Look up the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen ( https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/) list of fruits and vegetables that contain the highest amounts of pesticides and start with a swap for an organic version.
- Swap your body products for clean, non-toxic products. Your skin is your largest organ, and what you put on it, you also absorb! You can start with your soap or bodywash and deodorant. You want to steer clear of antiperspirants and aluminum containing deodorants. The deodorant I’m currently loving is made by a woman owned, Atlanta small business called Kimberly Joy Collection. https://www.kimberlyjoycollection.com/products/deodorant-cream *Some natural deodorants, like this one, require you to apply with your fingers.
- Buy or DIY clean household cleaning products. Many cleaning products are loaded with toxins even though they appear to be clean. This is known as “Greenwashing”. Greenwashing is when a company or organization spends more time and money on marketing themselves as environmentally friendly than on minimizing their environmental impact. Try starting out with swapping one product with a DIY cleaning product or purchase a truly clean product. I enjoy the natural cleaning products from another woman owned, Atlanta small business called Squeaky Green. https://www.squeaky-green.com/shop/p/starter-pack
- Drink lots of water and exercise. Since it’s impossible to avoid all of the toxins that surround us everyday, you can support your body’s natural detoxification process by drinking lots of water to support your body’s ability to eliminate toxins. Exercise is another great way to detox your body. Your body eliminates toxins when you sweat, so spend 30 minutes a day doing something that makes you sweat. I love taking classes at another local black owned business, Pinnacle Fitness Center. The trainers are great and attentive and really make sure you put in the work. https://www.pinnaclefitnesscenter.com Pinnacle Fitness Center also has an online platform called Pinnacle Fit Now that provides On-Demand fitness classes at https://www.pinnaclefitnow.com
With ‘cold and flu’ season approaching it is vital that you do what you can NOW to assist your body in detoxing and allowing your immune system to function at its highest potential. To order our herbal immune supporting products click HERE to get started.
For more detoxing ideas check out https://www.amymyersmd.com/article/foods-detox-naturally/